Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Why are you reading?

I was recently at a bar, a burger and a beer seemed like a good idea, it also seemed like a good time to catch up on some reading. I am swiftly getting through Thom Hartmann's "What Would Jefferson Do?". And by george, I had that Bill Hicks moment, when a person, who you could tell, has had some entanglements with the process of reading. I was asked "Why are you reading?", not what I was reading. I simply responded "I don't know". I know very well why I read I just didn't feel like discussing it. Oddly, this is the same bar where I was while reading the New York Times and was asked why I cared about what was going on in New York. I did not have foresight that time to see how bad a conversation it would be. I proceeded to explain that it was an international paper. That was 30 minutes I will never get back. I am one who can find value in everyone, once I get it through my head that I cannot discuss books, foreign policy, independent films, better music like the Replacements or Wilco, the anti-war rally I attended, etc etc. If you are here, you probably understand. I was having this exact conversation at work tonight with two friends, and it does my heart good to see people who actually think and read. One is currently reading something to the effect of "evolve your brain", the other, she is working her way through Anneli Rufus' "Party of One: The Loner's Manifesto", which is on my shortlist. She went on to tell that in her short life, while growing up, her mother discouraged her from reading anything but textbooks and she had to hide it. The reasoning, was that she did not want her to get "bias opinions and buy into them". My other worker and I joked that most kids hide drinking or drug use, or that unfortunate arrest for disturbing the peace. So, why do we read? an escape? enlightenment? or ....
are you ready? To educate yourself? I read for all of the aforementioned reasons, so I thought I would share some titles with you that I consider neccessary. Late Senator Paul Wellstone's "The Conscience of a Liberal", I know this one comes as no surprise to anyone who has visited this site or knows me. Paul Wellstone captured what is a clear "compassionate agenda". In this book, we are taken on a walk through principles and ideals of a man who could get along with any, yet pursued policies that helped all. A liberal Democrat we sure could use now. Another would be McSeeney's classic "How We are Hungry", a collection of short stories by Dave Eggers. I would be here all night running you through that, but I will mention a story written from a dog's point of view titled "After I was thrown in the River and after I'd drown". A moving piece, especially if you are a dog lover. Next, Thom Hartmann's "Screwed". When I get to read Thom, or listen to him on the radio, I immediately feel smarter. Whether it is politics, understanding other relegions, economics, and the state of the middle-class right now. "Screwed" gives a well researched look at what corporate greed, slimy politicians, war, and the hatred for the New Deal has done to the middle-class. But, hey, at least the war on the middle-class is going well! There are a few reasons read, my year end list is coming in week, just before the year ends. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger