Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Wow! That's offensive!


The July issue of the New Yorker is causing political controversy over it's July issue's cover. As you can see, Senator Obama is a Muslim, and Michelle is an angry black militant black woman. Well, foolish e-mails and Fox News would have you believe that nonsense. The cover itself, is nothing more than a mockery of what the "silly season" politics has turned into. I laughed when I first saw the cover, I got it, and I occasionally have read the New Yorker and get the humor. However, I do understand the Obama campaigns concerns.

I understand that most Americans do not read the New Yorker, and most won't take the time to read Ryan Lizza's piece on the Senator. These are the folks that will say "see, it's on the cover of a magazine, that e-mail my friends and relatives forwarded were true, sees it's on the New Yorker". I see the frustration on the part of the campaign, and share their concern. I have faith that behind the scenes, the very intelligent couple from Chicago laughed at the cover, and then discussed it's repercussions with advisers. The point is, when you look at all the garbage thrown at the Obama couple and recognize how absurd it has been, and research the candidate you understand artist Barry Blitt's humor. However, when the media fizzles on covering this, the better off we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger