Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Celeberties, sports stars, the law and us


In most courts people like you or I would already have had out time served or still be twiddling our thums and toes in jail. This is not the case for those in the entertainment and sports industries. One of the newest Toronto Maple Leafs, Mark Bell (pictured) was an overall first round draft pick by the Chicago Blackhawks, and later traded to San Jose for one season. For that one season in San Jose though, his promising hopes of being the forward the Sharks were looking for as he was dogged by the weight of a court decision on drunk-driving, fleeing the scene, and causing injury after rear ending someone. He has plead no contest in San Jose courts and was sentenced to 6 months. Ok, probably fair if it were a first offense etc. The problem I have though, and I say this as a die-hard Maple Leafs fan, is he does not have to serve his sentence until the end of the 2007-2008 season.
We have seen this garbage over and over from Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Mel Gibson, Dennis Rodman, Ms. Spears and Ms. Lohan, Congressman Kennedy, Snoop Dogg, this list could go on for two or more pages. What I am expressing here is this, if the crime is committed and you are a civilian you are tried and sentenced very quickly and pay the price. If you are a household name or rising young athlete with good attorneys it takes awhile, everything fades in the minds of the public and you go to rehab. In the case of Mark Bell, I will however mention, that I believe an appropriate sentence was delivered, but should be served now, with the possibility of a shorter sentence based on behavior and negotiated community service given his sportsmanship on the ice and role model potential for kids in the hockey community.
Which brings me to Michael Vick, who is, pleaing out his dogfighting charges in hopes of a lighter sentence. I am not surprised Mr. Vick is taking this route, and I am sure he will serve no jail time. This sick excuse for a human being, in which the Atlanta Falcons owners, the NFL, Upper Deck sports cards, and all of us knew he was guilty. Granted his fines will be steep and career may be over, but in the same courts where would we be? Think about it for a minute....ahhhh yes....JAIL! As an animal lover, card carrying member of the USHS, and dog rescuer ,I am appalled. I have been keeping myself from this article until I was ready, and had my wit about me. Michael Vick's actions taint what could of served as great mentoring for kids in this country, yet he blew it by torturing dogs by forcing them to fight and then killing those in which he and his thugs thought were undesirable. Pit Bulls as we all know, get a pretty bad rap in this country, especially close to big cities. There are some I have encountered and stayed away from, others, are as sweet as my Bassett Hounds. They did not deserve to serve as Michael Vick's not so cheap entertainment. I say it that way because it is understood some purses were as high as $26,000. This man is a bastard, and as Senator Robert Byrd put it "there is a warm seat in hell waiting for him". Aside from public outrage, I have heard few talk of this news that he is pleaing out. I only heard from Senator Byrd, and should be President Kerry on the political side, in Hollywood, only Elayne Boosler, Janeane Garofalo and Stephanie Miller outraged, in sports, well some commentating here and there. Even the guys at itsfirstfriday.com had enough sense to call him out on this behavior. This should serve as lesson for the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB that you can have decent role models. I hope the latter takes advantage of this, as they are marred by lesser crimes if any that would compare. Take the Deroit Tigers for instance, their players have donated photo ops and time to the Dearborn Animal Shelter here in Michigan, former Toronto Maple Leafs Tie Domi and Felix Potvin both rescued animals from shelters and streets. Future Hall of Famer Steve Yzerman, the epitomy of class in major sports, or even unemployed Red Wing/Flame Darren McCarty for cancer foundation. My apologies to the countless athletes who do good in their respective sports, cause you are there I know, but Michael Vick's case made me sick and still does. I call on owners of all major sports teams to now know that the product you put on the field has a purpose other than winning, and that is class and sportsmanship. Spectator sports like dogfighting have no room on our tv's or playing surfaces. This is your opportunity right now NHL to promote competitive, compassionate, and sight worthy players within your league and see them do right as role models and mentors for kids in not just Canada, but your struggling markets in the USA. MLB might try a bit harder too. Paris Hilton, George Bush, Lindsay Lohan and @#%#^&%! Michael Vick ain't cuttin it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger