Sunday, October 19, 2008

What the hell is wrong with Michelle Bachmann

On 10/17 Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) appeared on Hardball with Chris Matthews and, used the terms "leftist" "liberal", and "anti-American" in the same context. Matthews went on to ask "If you are a liberal are you anti-American?", while not exactly saying that statement is true, she stuck to the Republican playbook and spoke of Rev. Jeremiah Wright and William Ayers. Suggesting that Senator Obama may be "anti-American" be he has had a relationship with the former, and an educational association with William Ayers. Her disdain for fellow Americans whose views differ from her own, is about as Anti-American as I could imagine from a Congresswoman. The desperation from Republicans this election year has reached new lows. From race baiting, to what Katrina Vanden Huevel of the Nation described as McCarthyism.

MR. MATTHEWS: Well, he's a United States senator from Illinois. He's one of the people you suspect as being anti-American. How many people in the Congress of the United States do you think are anti- American? You've already suspected Barack Obama. Is he alone, or are there others? How many do you suspect of your colleagues as being anti-American?

REP. BACHMANN: What I would say -- what I would say is that the news media should do a penetrating expose and take a look. I wish they would. I wish the American media would take a great look at the views of the people in Congress and find out, are they pro-America or anti-America? I think people would love to see an expose like that.

Her performance on Hardball demonstrated a hateful part of America, the threatens the fabric of our country. In 2004, as a liberal Democrat, I was called "un-patriotic", I was told "love it or leave it", now in 2008 it is "anti-american", and I find those labels hurtful. I love my country, and wish for it's best, and right it's wrongs. Differing views in America is one the many things that makes the country great, and that sort of name calling hurts us in social communities. Michelle Bachmann's wish to see the media do an expose on members of Congress to see who's pro-America, and anti-America leaves one's head spinning, and yet, unfortunately it has become too common. Both the left and right have taken part in behavior that is unbecoming of a country that chants "USA!" political rallies and the occasional sporting event. For Ms. Bachmann, I would like for her to tell me exactly what "pro-American" is? Because in my opinion, what represents us is the desire to help others in need of a hand, caring for our Veterans with detailed care and respect, defending the Constitution, support for women's and minorities rights, education, and protection among others. If I am wrong, I would be happy to have her try and correct me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger