Friday, August 14, 2009

Defying PC logic, the Eagles sign Michael Vick

The Philadelphia Eagles have chosen to give Michael Vick a second chance. Serving 18 months of a 23 month sentence for running a dog fighting ring, Vick claims "I know I've done some terrible things, made a horrible mistake. Now I want to be part of the solution and not the problem." I am one who believes in second chances and rehabilitation, but Michael Vick's "mistake" was a costly one to dog lovers and rescues, and most of all the dogs. His "mistake" also did harm to his teammates and the Atlanta Falcons, so my question is, what team would want him?

The Eagles are taking a big risk with their fans, and with their newest quarterback. People in this country love football, but we love our dogs more. The degree of torture and fear he put into the animals involved with his fighting ring include the 53 taken from the property and more than 10 carcasses found, and now Vick claims he'd like to be role model to young people. Yeah right! I saw recently, a journalist wrote "what team will defy PC logic and sign Michael Vick?" Well, it's the Eagles, who already have Donovan McNabb in the fold, so you have to wonder, why sign Vick? He can only play in 2 preseason games, and according to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell he only reinstated him to participate in team activities. This stunt by the Eagles only serves as publicity, for a team that has been fairly successful.

Players and teams in the NFL that do serve as role models to my knowledge would be the Detroit Lions. Who work with the Dearborn Animal Shelter, and help produce a calendar every year to benefit the animals in need. The Lions genuine act outshines any "second chance" Vick receives. Also, take Jarrod Cooper of the Oakland Raiders, who violated league rules regarding steroid use. During his suspension he took it upon himself to volunteer at local shelters. "When I first came here, I'd see a mean dog, I'd say what's wrong with that dog? And now if I would see a mean dog, I think, 'Who did that to this animal? The dogs only do what you train them to do.'" said Cooper.

Vick's grotesque crimes ignited a level of hatred in the public we knew existed, but many did not exercise. Many of us work tirelessly to see to the welfare of dogs and cats, my mother's own efforts at Dearborn Shelter are applauded by not my sister and I, but it is reflected in the awards she has received from them. The efforts of the Lions and Jarrod Cooper, and I am sure countless others is undermined by the NFL's reinstatement of Vick and the Eagles choice to sign him. I certainly hope the fans on the city of "Brotherly Love" show support for the shelter, rather than the greedy illogical team and player in their city.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger