Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett have Died.

This morning, my boss and I discussed the loss of Ed McMahon, and his how his legacy with Johnny Carson is synonmous with American Pop Culture. I made the off the cuff remark about "there always is three", without knowing that two more icons would pass today. Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett have died.
In my lifetime, both figures were cemented in my memories from an early age,
to my very young childhood memories/crushes of sneaking out of bed to watch Charlie's Angels, or having my parents take me to a record store where my allowance would be spent to buy a record.

Farrah Fawcett's death, in all of it's sadness was not unexpected given her 3 year long battle with cancer. At age 62 she can be proud of the image and effect she had on the American entertainment industry and culture for her role in Cahrlie's Angels, Extremities and the Burning Bed among others.. Her long relationship with actor Ryan O'Neal was struck with it's issues that the tabloids covered, they did however stick it out over the years.

Michael Jackson's passing is surprising, and surreal. The self proclaimed King of Pop was 50 and no stranger to headlines. From the early years on Motown records with the Jackson 5, Michael was a child prodigy. Wowing audiences with incredible talents, and holding the honors of entertaining fans around the world for years. His album "Thriller" which earned seared his image into our memories forever sold more than any other release in America. While I always preferred "Off the Wall", his musical abilities accomplished an image many will not see in their lifetimes.

Just shy of embarking on his comeback with a 3 year worldwide tour, Michael suffered a heart attack and died shortly after. These American Icons changed how people in our country viewed entertainment and set a standard in what we see as statuesque.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger