Friday, May 29, 2009

Mike Malloy breakdowns the criticisms of Sonia Sotomayor

Because debating right-wingers is pointless. They are willing to attack a nominee as "racist" based on one statement,"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.", this is the one they are focused on. Although, they leave out the fact that prior to the statement, Professor Martha Minnow stated "there can never be a universal definition of wise". And second, they don't mention that at the time she said it, she was speaking on a panel discussing Hispanics in the Justice system. Also, here is a statement from Justice Samuel Alito " I tried to provide a little picture of who I am as a human being and how my background and my experiences have shaped me and brought me to this point. ... And that's why I went into that in my opening statement. Because when a case comes before me involving, let's say, someone who is an immigrant -- and we get an awful lot of immigration cases and naturalization cases -- I can't help but think of my own ancestors, because it wasn't that long ago when they were in that position."

The second quote, "All of the legal defense funds out there, they’re looking for people with Court of Appeals experience. Because it is — Court of Appeals is where policy is made. And I know, and I know this is on tape and I should never say that, because we don’t make law. I know. OK, I know. I know. I’m not, I’m not promoting it and I’m not advocating it. I’m, you know. OK. Um. [Laughs]". Now, my take is that she is saying, this is what happens, and "I am not promoting it or advocating it". Now this from the right-wing's Supreme Court Wonder Antonin Scalia "In fact, however, the judges of inferior courts often "make law," since the precedent of the highest court does not cover every situation, and not every case is reviewed." Funny how this works, Scalia and Altio are just "brilliant" according to the right, but Sonia Sotomayor is a "racist" and an "activist judge"

Mike breaks it down:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger