Friday, October 26, 2007

On Rescuing Dogs

Folks, this is Giles. Yes, I use his name for my posts. Don't blame him for every liberal rant I may post, just blame me or applaud me...whichever side of the fence you sit on. This post is what it means to rescue a dog, or cat. Thousand of animals are euthanized every year at shelters all over the country, not to mention the actions of {expletive}'s like Michael Vick. I have had the luxury all of my life being raised by a mother who passed on a compassion for all creatures, mostly dogs to look out for them. My ex and I did tremendous work in rescue work, I am grateful to www.michiganbassettrescue.org for finding displaced Bassetts, getting them into homes, and blessing us Hound folk. And for you Progressives out there, Bassetts can smell a lying Republican like a fart in a car. What you do, and don't do are serious thoughts prior to adopting an animal...Yes Ellen this means you too...read the Shelter's rules. Screeners and volunteers go through sometimes excruciating emotional distress caring for an animal at shelters. They screen you, not someone you later choose to give the dog or cat to. Not everyone is qualified. Take that seriously, and respect their expectations. These dogs and cats are not at shelters at our disposal, they are living creatures who need our help. They are there for many reasons, an owner was a complete ass who neglected them, an owner relinquisment, an owner dies etc. They would rather be on a couch knowing when they will be fed, walked, and let out. With Giles, he is my fourth Bassett, he landed in my lap out of nowhere, I met friends for drinks, was given a Labatt's and a polaroid of a hound, and the next day I had another dog.I adopted Sebastian, my first Bassett, from Bassett Resuce, Cassady came by way of the local police, and Dutch was rescued twice by myself. My ex and I also had Freda , the world's greatest Sheltie. What I am saying, is that with all the trying times we have now, with war, financial uncertainty, foreclosures, repos, and uncertainty of more war and taxes, a dog is the greatest investment. Even if you don't adopt, go to your local shelter and drop off a bag of food or litter, walk a dog, clean a cage, whatever, cut their grass or shovel their snow. Give an hour of your day off for a non-partisan act, although, I cannot say it enough, buy a bassett an elephant toy...and he will maul it...you figure it out. Just get out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey man! It's George from the pub, great blog, and I love this post. It's great!

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger